It’s back. It’s that time of year where we hope that someone will say something. Maybe something we can like on Facebook, or in a blog post, and while we want people to know more, to understand better, this time of year makes us quake in our boots a bit.
I get it. I was there. There are moments in this tenuous, disheartening journey where all we want is to sink into the ground until we’re able to reemerge with a baby in our arms.
I get it. I do.
However, unless we speak… unless we open our hearts and find our brave and stretch our arms outside our comfort zone, the only awareness we’re building is with ourselves.
So here’s a simple thing: for Resolve’s 25th Annual National Infertility Awareness Week, all you need to do is update your cover photo. No standing up in front of a room full of people. No standing on a roof top yelling, ‘Yo! You down there! My baby-maker is busted!’ Just a cover photo. You can do it. I promise. This week? Don’t be silent.
The stats? They’re not changing: 1 in 8 couples faces infertility.
I am 1 in 8. There’s no shame in it. I didn’t choose this. I didn’t bring it on myself. It is a simple biological fact that my body struggles to conceive. The medical reality is that I am 1 in 8.
And so this week, I hope you’ll join me in breaking the silence. Again. With 25 years of men and women who found their voice in the hopes of creating awareness and cultivating understanding and compassion.
I am 1 in 8.
1. Right-Click on any image you wish you download, select Open in New Tab.
2. On the next page, right click and save the image to your computer.
3. Log into Facebook and head to your Profile or Page.
4. Hover over your Timeline Cover and click “Change Cover.”
5. Select “Upload Photo” and select the image you just saved to your computer.
6. Click “Save Changes” and you’re all set!